Quantum Teaching Method: An Interactive Method in Teaching English as Foreign Language (TEFL)
Sri Sunarti, M. Pd
There are many learning methodologies which can be applied in the class such as constructive learning, cooperative learning, integrated learning, contextual teaching and learning, problem-based learning, and quantum teaching and learning. One of learning methodologies which combine the joy and smile with the learning activities is quantum teaching. Quantum teaching is a popular and useful teaching method used in local areas. It makes them like as they learn it without any help. While student enjoy the study, teacher only need less interactions as it is best to let students have interactions between them. The benefits of using Quantum teaching method is students gain more knowledge without they notice it.
Keywords: learning methodologies, quantum teaching
Nowadays, we often see conventional the teaching and learning system. Teachers always become a center in teaching and learning process in the class. Teachers get the curriculum target only and students’ academic score. For a while, teachers don’t care about students’ ability in comprehending the material. Teachers only read the books or write on the white board or note or ask the questions to the students and give the test even they have not understand yet. In conventional system, teachers also do not teach the students about characters value to be their guidance in the future. From the research results prove that teaching and learning process is done well yet. This is caused by three factors. First, development needs and activities of the various areas of life always leaves the process or work or educational institutions go much earlier than the teaching and learning process so that the result of teaching and learning process does not match with the reality of life that forded by students. Second, the views and findings of the study from various fields of teaching and learning make a paradigm, philosophy, and current teaching methodologies are inadequate or unsuitable. Third, problems and negative fact about teaching and learning paradigm requires renewal begun all, philosophy and methodology of teaching and learning. Beside that, in national education standard stated that teaching and learning process standard in one education unit is done as enjoyable, inspiration, challenge, motivated, active, creative, and could be develop their talent, interest and psychology. (Government Law Number 19/2005 chapter IV article 19:1)
Based on the example above, teachers need to develop and increase the teaching and learning process by using learning methodology. There are many learning methodologies which can be applied in the class such as constructive learning, cooperative learning, integrated learning, contextual teaching and learning, problem-based learning, and quantum teaching and learning. Quantum teaching is a popular and useful teaching method used in local areas. Students in local areas are different than others from foreign countries. Most of local students are unable to speak and write in English. In latest curriculum made by the government stated if English is an important study and all students should be able to use it in their daily activity if applicable. Many teachers are trying to teach their student with various methods. One of the most used teaching methods is Quantum Teaching. Quantum teaching means combine the joy and smile with the learning activities. Students are taught by using interesting media that make them smile and at the same time, they gain more knowledge easily.
The benefits of using Quantum Teaching method is students gain more knowledge without they notice it. The lessons were given by teachers can make they feel happy, and get more knowledge which can be absorbed in no times. Students are likely to learn faster when they love to study by their selves. Quantum Teaching makes them like as they learn it without any help. While student enjoy the study, teacher only need less interactions as it is best to let students have interactions between them. Quantum teaching will benefit both of the students and teachers as well. The usage of quantum teaching in classes or outdoors was easy. Students are given special task to discuss a something that they really love and explain the benefits of it. Because they have to explain a something, it is necessary for them to get sufficient information about anything they were working on. Students will gain more knowledge and enjoy the study at the same times.
Quantum Teaching Method
Quantum teaching method is introducec by Bobbi DePorter. She is a housewife which involve in property business and finance. She is also a pioneer and organizer of quantum teaching. Since 1982 DePorter is maturing and developing ideas in SuperCamp quantum learning, a learning institution located Kirkwood Meadows, State of California, United State. This method is build based on experience and research to 25 thousands of students in SuperCamp”, stated by DePorter dalam Quantum Teaching (2001: 4). Quantum teaching is created to increase successful life and carrier of the teenagers in the house or rum spaces. In Quantum Teaching (2004:4) stated that knowledge and methodology used in the design, presentation and facilitation in supercamp. It is also created based on therory such as Accelerated Learning (Lozanov), Multiple Intelegences (Gardner), Neuro-Linguistic Programming (Grinder dan Bandler), Experiential Learning (Hahn), Socratic Inquiry, Cooperative Learning (Johnson dan Johnson), dan Element of Effective Instruction (Hunter).
In the quantum learning also applies the principle that learning should impact the formation of excellence. In other words, the learningneeds tobe defined asthe establishmentof excellence. Therefore, this advantage has even been seen as the heart of the foundation of quantum learning. There are eight principles of excellence – which is also called the eight key advantages – are believed to be in the quantum learning. Eight keys advantages as follows:
• Integrity in life
In learning, be what it is, sincere, and thorough born when our values and our behavior together. This can increase the motivation to learn, which in turn achieve the learning objectives. In other words, the integrity of the door can open the way to peak performance.
• Admit failure to get success
In teaching, we must understand and acknowledge that errors or failure to provide information to us that is needed to learn more so that we can succeed. Failure should not create a continuous worry and punishment for failure is a sign that a person has learned.
• Speak with good attention
In learning speaking skills need to be developed in the positive sense and is responsible for direct and honest communication. Goodwill speaking can enhance self-confidence and motivation to learn learner.
• Having commitment
In learning, both teacher and learner must follow the vision-mission without hesitation, remained on the rails that have been set. For that, they need to do anything to finish the job. This is where the need to develop a slogan: I must finish the work that had to be overcome, not just my own.
• Be owner
In learning there must be responsibility. Without the responsibility there is possible learning meaningful and quality. Therefore, teachers and learners should take responsibility for what their job. They let a man be a reliable, responsible person
• Be flexible
In learning, maintain the ability to change is being made to obtain the desired results. Learners, especially teachers, have to be very clever to read the environment and atmosphere, and must be very clever to change the environment and atmosphere where needed. For example, in the classroom the teacher can only change the lesson plan when necessary for the success of their students; do not die defending lesson plans that have been made.
• Maintain of balance
In learning, keep the soul, body, emotions, and spirit of unity and equality in order to process and learning outcomes effectively and optimally. Remains in the balance is an ongoing process that requires constant adjustments so that the necessary attitudes and actions of the learners and teachers carefully.
Quantum teaching provides the new methods to make the process of teaching through teacher easier by guiding such materials. By using quantum teaching method, it will accommodate the needs of students through drilling the teacher to write everything dealing with their environment, curriculum design, and the way to present the method. It is purposed that the teachers can create the good condition of teaching so that the students can improve their skills. The basic principle of quantum teaching is that the teachers must be able to bring the students world into their world. It is important to understand their world because the teacher may be easy to make such method of teaching based on the students needs. The abroad explanations about principles of quantum teaching are below:
1. All things speaking up
It means that from the environment till the way teachers use should send a message about learning.
2. Having the goal
All things depend on the goal that the teachers make so that they must be careful to arrange the lesson design.
3. The experience of naming
The students will remember for long term if the teacher can make the name of the lesson.
4. Admit all efforts
The teacher should be aware that the students try to understand the lesson as well, so the students need an admission of what have they done in order they can be confident.
Give the appreciation for all things the students have done for the increase of their learning.
Based on the principles above the teachers must be aware that the educational transforming is not only the job of teachers but also it needs the role of second players that is student. Quantum teaching in the application conducts the procedures of teaching like below:
1. Grow the attention through making students satisfied for the benefit of lesson tough.
2. Create and tell the experience of educating.
3. Name the things like formula, lesson, or others so the student may keep remembering.
4. Give the students chance to demonstrate what they know.
5. Give the students the method how to repeat the lesson in the unusual ways.
6. Celebrate all what the students have done for their participation, success, or anything for instance.
The teacher is agent of education who will change the face of educational world in Indonesia, teacher should understand about her/his specific lesson to teach so the information may be easy to transform. By quantum teaching model teacher is hoped that they will make students release all ability they have. Through the ways in quantum teaching has provide to learn for example in the application. In conclusion, the purpose of quantum teaching is that the teacher will understand how to do with the students about their life, behavior, and personality so the can dismiss their potentials.
Characteristics of Quantum Teaching Method
Characteristics of quantum teaching are as follows:
• Learning quantum stems in cognitive psychology, quantum physics though not of affliction, terms and concepts used quantum. Therefore, the view of learning, learning, and learner-derived, transformed, and developed from a variety of cognitive psychology theory, not the theory of quantum physics. It can be said here that the quantum learning is not closely related to quantum physics – except analogy some quantum concepts. This makes it more cognitive than physical.
• Quantum Learning is more humanistic, not positivistic–empirical, “animal–istis”, and or nativistis. Humans as the learner become the center of attention. Self-potential, intellectual ability, power motivation, and so on of the learner is believed to develop optimally or optimally. Reward and punishment is deemed not exist because all human effort is commendable. Seen as a symptom of human error. This all suggests that overall there is in humans seen in the humanistic perspective.
• Quantum Learning is more constructivist, not positivistic-empirical, behaviorists, and or maturations. Therefore, the feel of constructivism in learning quantum is relatively strong. In fact, it can be said here that the quantum learning is one reflection of the philosophy of cognitive constructivism, social constructivism is not. However, in contrast to other cognitive constructivism forward or put fewer environments, learning to emphasize the importance of the role of quantum environment in realizing effective learning and facilitate the success and optimal learning goals.
• Quantum learning seeks to combine (integrate), synergize, and collaborate with the human factor as a potential self–learner with the environment (physical and mental) as a context for learning. Or more correct to say here that the quantum learning is not separate and does not distinguish between res cogitans and res extenza, between what is inside and what is outside. In view of quantum learning, mental–physical environment and the ability of the human mind or self is equally important and mutually supportive. Therefore, both the environment and the ability of the human mind or self-potential should be treated equally and obtain a balanced stimulant that successful learning.
• Quantum Learning focusing on quality and meaningful interactions, not just transactions meaning. It can be said that the interaction has become a buzzword and central concept in quantum learning. Therefore, quantum learning puts pressure on the importance of the interaction, the frequency and quality of interaction and accumulation of meaningful. Here the learning process is seen as the creation of quality interactions and meaningful that can convert the energy of the mind and the ability to be a natural talent learners lights that are beneficial to the success of learners. Interactions were not able to convert energy into light should be avoided, if necessary discarded in the learning process. In this regard the communication becomes very important in the study of quantum.
• Learning quantum emphasis on accelerated learning with a high level of success. Here accelerated learning posited as a quantum leap. In short, according to quantum learning, the learning process must take place quickly with a high success. o that end, all the barriers and obstacles that can slow down the learning process should be removed, eliminated, or eliminated. Here various tips, how, and techniques can be used, for example, the lighting, the music, the atmosphere is refreshing, comfortable environment, relaxed seating arrangement, etc.So, anything that prevents accelerated learning should be eliminated on one side and on the other hand everything that supports accelerated learning must be created and managed as well as possible.
• Learning quantum emphasized naturalness and reasonableness learning process, not a state keartifisialan or made-up. Naturalness and reasonableness pose a comfortable atmosphere, fresh, healthy, relaxed, relaxing, and fun, being artificial and pretense create an atmosphere of tense, rigid, and boring. Therefore, learning must be designed, presented, managed, and facilitated such a way that can be created or embodied learning process is natural and reasonable. This is where instructional designers and implementers must work proactively and supportive to create naturalness and reasonableness of the learning process. Learning quantum emphasis quality meaningfulness and learning process. The learning process is not meaningful and is not qualified to produce failure, in the sense that the learning objectives are not achieved. Therefore, any measure that allows the realization of meaningfulness and having standard in learning should be done by the teacher or facilitator. In this context needs to be brought experience understandable and meaningful to learners, especially learners’ need experiences are adequately accommodated. Foreign experience for the learner need not be presented because it is produced only to avoid the learning process. To that end, efforts to bring the world into the world of teaching learners on the one hand and on the other hand deliver the world into the world of teaching learners. This needs to be done in a balanced.
• Quantum Learning has a model that combines the context and content of learning. Learning context includes empowering atmosphere, a solid foundation, or an exciting environment supports, and the design of dynamic learning. Contents include the presentation of the prime learning, facilitating flexible learning skills–to–learn, and life skills. Context and content are inseparable, mutually supportive, like an orchestra playing a symphony. The separation of the two will only produce failure of learning. Cohesion and conformity both functionally will produce high learning success; proverbial perfect symphony game played in an orchestra.
• Learning to focus on the formation of quantum academic skills, skills [in] life, and physical or material achievement. All three must be considered, treated, and managed in a balanced and relatively equal in the process of learning, not just one of them. Said, because learning is successful not only the formation of academic skills and achievements of learners physically, but even more important is the establishment of a learning life skills. To that end, the curriculum should be structured in such a way that can manifest a harmonious combination between academic skills, life skills, and physical achievement.
• Learning quantum assign values and beliefs as an important part of the learning process. Without certain values and beliefs, the learning process is less meaningful. To that end, the learner must have certain values and positive beliefs in the learning process. In addition, the learning process should inculcate positive values and belief in self-learners. Negative values and beliefs will lead to the failure of the learning process. For example, learners need to have confidence that the fault or failure of a sign has been learned; fault or failure is not a sign of a fool, or the end of everything. In the learning process developed values and beliefs that punishment and reward (punishment and reward) is not necessary since every attempt should be recognized and appreciated. Positive values and beliefs such as these needs to be constantly developed and strengthened. The more robust and stable positive values and beliefs held by learners, will probably succeed in higher learning. It was said, because “these values into the glasses through which we view the world. We evaluate, establish priorities, assess, and act based on the way we look at life through the lens of this “, said DePorter in Quantum Business(2000:54).
• Learning quantum prioritize diversity and freedom, not uniformity and order. Diversity and freedom can be said as a keyword in addition to the interaction. Therefore, in developing quantum learning greeting: Welcome diversity and freedom, goodbye uniformity and order!. This is where the need is recognized diversity of learning styles of students or learners, learner development activities are diverse, and the use of a variety of tips and learning methods. On the other hand needs to be removed uniformity of learner‘s learning style, learning activities in the classroom, and the use of tips and learning methods.
• Learning quantum integrates the totality of body and mind in the learning process. Total activity between the body and the mind makes learning can take place more comfortable and more optimal result.
In addition to having common characteristics and key principles as stated above, quantum learning has a particular view of learning and learners. Some views on learning and the learner is able to put forward the following briefly:
• Active learning takes place because it is active and creative learners. Evidence can be liveliness and creativity that can be found in the role and function of the right brain and the left brain learners. Passive learning to deny the fact that it is active and creative learners, deny the role and function of the right brain and the left brain
• Effective and optimal learning takes place when it is based on the characteristics of the learner‘s learning style is important so that an understanding of the learning styles of learners. At least there are three styles of learning that must be taken into account in the learning process, namely auditory style, visual style, and the style of kinesthetic.
• Effective and optimal learning takes place when there is an atmosphere created or comfortable, fun, relaxed, healthy, and exciting that comfort, pleasure, relaxation, and excitement in learning need to be created and maintained. Learners can achieve optimal results when in a comfortable atmosphere, pleasant, relaxed, healthy, and exciting. To that end, both the physical environment, mental environment, and the atmosphere should be designed in such a way that evokes the impression of a comfortable, relaxed, fun, healthy, and exciting.
• Learning involves the mental–physical environment and the ability of the mind or self-potential learners simultaneously. Therefore, the creation and maintenance of the right environment is crucial for achieving an effective learning process and optimal. In this context, the atmosphere needs to be maintained positive, safe, supportive, relaxed, and fun; comfortable learning environment, stimulating, and musical nuances, and participatory physical environment, helping each other, containing the game, and the like.
• Learning mainly teaching requires harmony context and content. All learning contexts need to be developed in harmony with the learning content. To that must be created and maintained in an atmosphere that empowers or exciting, solid foundation, mental–physical environment that supports, and the design of a dynamic learning. In addition, it should also be created and maintained excellent presentation, facilitating flexible, stimulating learning skills for learning, life skills and supportive.
• Optimal learning takes place when there is diversity and freedom because it is basically a very diverse learners and requires freedom. Therefore, diversity and freedom should be recognized, respected, and accommodated in the learning process. Uniformity and order (in the sense of stiffness) should be avoided because it reduces and simplifies the potential and characteristics of learners. Potential and very diverse learner characteristics that require free atmosphere for actualization or articulation
Based on the explanation above, quantum teaching is a philosophy and learning methodology which can be implemented in business, home, and company environment, as well as within school. Conceptually, the philosophy and methodology of learning quantum bring fresh air to the world of learning in Indonesia because the characteristics, principles, and his views are much more refreshing than the philosophy and methodology of existing learning (dominant character and rationalism behavioristics by Cartesian). Even so, real, reliability and kindness quantum philosophy and methodology of this study still needs to be tested and studied further. Moreover they can be applied in the Indonesian environment, home environment, corporate environment, the business environment and the classroom environment / school. Special application in the classroom environment demanding change thinking patterns implementers teaching, teaching culture and education, and school organizational structure and structure learning. If these changes do undoubtedly quantum learning can be implemented with optimal results.
DePorter, B., & Hernacki, M. 1999. Quantum Learning: Membiasakan belajar nyaman dan menyenangkan. Bandung: Penerbit KAIFA.
DePorter, B., & Hernacki, M. 2000. Quantum Business: Membiasakan bisnis secara etis dan sehat. Bandung: Penerbit KAIFA.
DePorter, B., Reardon, M., & Singer-Nourie, S. 2001. Quantum Teaching: Mempraktikkan Quantum Learning di ruang-ruang kelas. Bandung: Penerbit KAIFA.
DePorter, B., Reardon, M., & Singer-Nourie, S. 2004. Quantum Teaching: Orchestrating student success. NewYork: Pearson
Dryden, G., & Jeanette, V. 1999. The learning revolution: To change the way the world learns. Selandia Baru: The Learning Web.
Giddens, A. 2001. Runway World. Jakarta: Penerbit PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Government Law Number 19/2005. 2005. Educational national standard. Jakarta: Peraturan Pemerintah Republik Indonesia
Meier, D. 2000. The Accelerated Learning Handbook. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Silberman, M, L. 1996. Active Learning: 101 Step to teach any subject. Massachusetts: A Simon and Schuster Company.